Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Red Dragon Fruit Jelly



I've actually lost count of how many times I've made this... I found it on Wendy's blog long time ago and since not only Little Bear but also both my parents-in-laws enjoyed it, I've been making them quite frequently...Especially the first few months ever since I've first introduced it to them.


This time I blended the fruit in my blender coz I read somewhere that the seeds contained calcium (I forgot where). Then when I googled for it, this came up:

"Dragon fruits are high in antioxidants, which help to fight carcinogenic free-radicals from forming in the body. In addition, they are a good source of Vitamin C, and are rich in minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus. They are also low in calories and high in fiber, while the seeds are have high polyunsaturated fatty acids. Aside from its nutritional content, the fruit is also said to help excrete heavy metal toxins from the body and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Dragon fruits are also known to be a natural laxative."

and also:

"The crunchy seeds have a nutty taste and are high in lipids, although they are indigestible unless chewed. "

So this time I made them like this:



Ingredients:

1 whole red dragon fruit

200gms rock sugar

lemon juice from 2 lemons (About 100ml--I like the flavour of lemon to be stronger)

1 packet of agar-agar strips (about 25gms)

2l water (Depends on how firm you want your jelly to be, actually my packet of agar-agar calls for only1.4L)


Method:

1. Bring 2L water with the agar-agar strips and rock sugar to a boil.  Simmer until all the agar-agar and sugar have dissolved.

2. Meanwhile, puree dragon fruit flesh with a blender. Mix in lemon juice.

3. Take the agar-agar off the fire.

4. Mix in fruit puree and pour into moulds to cool down.

5. Chill in the fridge before serving.


These are from my earliest attempt...see the differences of the ones with seeds and without?



 The ones using blended fruit will never look as good as these. The crushed seeds make them look dirty.


14 comments:

Joyti said...

Hmm, those look delicious! And so perfect for kiddies, no wonder why your little bear loves them.

WendyinKK said...

Eh, these new moulds are very pretty :)
I never knew that the seeds have so much goodness. Thanks for sharing that.
But hoh... I think I'd go for beauty in this case since u said it looks dirty, hahahah!!

Zoe said...

very pretty jelly.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Indie.Tea,
Yup, the best part is that it's without artificial flavouring and colourings. I'm so glad that he likes them.

Wendy,
Those are just normal jelly moulds i got from Tesco,
2 for rm5-something. I think it looks dirty coz it looks like there are specks of black bits floating in the jelly lah...


Zoe,
Thanks... :)

HomeKreation said...

Mel,
Your jelly looks pretty & delicious. I've not tried making dragon fruit jelly - will put that in my list. Hope your two bears have recovered from coughing.

WendyinKK said...

Yup, those black specks of broken up seeds. I'd go for the old method, cos I like it clear.
But taste wise, is it affected?
The unbroken seeds will be smooth,but when broken, do they leave a coarse mouthfeel?

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Cute jellies! Loved the colour...;)

Thanks for sharing the info n recipe! :)

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

HomeKreation,
Thanks, their fever's gone but still coughing... :(
Do try this out...If you are not very into lemon flavour you can use pandan leaves too, I've seen the recipe somewhere.

Wendy,
Although crushed, the bits still sink to the bottom. So the ones I scoopped into the moulds first are still ok, unless u've sensitive taste buds, u won't taste much difference of the two. But the last three bowls (towards the end I used small aluminium bowls about D3' X H2') yes, u can taste the bits as they are coarser.

Those in the bowls were all sapu up by my in-laws and they din complain...I only ate 1 bowl out of the 10 bowls i made and stole from ES the ones in moulds.

Since u'r quite particular about the texture, I think better u don't blend leh...unless u can get something that could blend it into powder form.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Love,
Thanks! I love the colour too!

Mr Pineapple man,
Thanks...they'r nutritious too!

Food For Tots said...

This is one of the desserts I want like to try for a long time. Thanks for sharing. Will try it out if I can get some dragon fruits. ;)

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Food For Tots,
Do try it! kids love the colour! You can try pandan flavour too but I've yet to try that. I'll be waiting for your post on this!

Blessed Homemaker said...

I like the colour of this but I don't much enjoy eating purple dragon fruit :P Still prefer the white ones.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Blessed Homemaker,
There won't be any flavour of the dragon fruit no matter you use the white or the purple one...The purple one's use here just for the colour...you add the flavour that you like: lemon, or pandan or...?

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.