Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Soya Bean Milk Jelly


When I was pregnant with Ee Chao, I had these cravings for jellies...so I made some myself. Wendy's blog has been a great source of ideas and recipes with step by step instructions given. Being a novice in the kitchen, I find it very,very helpful indeed (besides "savouring" her pictures la   :P) This is from her blog too. She calls it longan tofu. But mine's just jelly, so jelly be it.

1 level Tbsp Agar-agar powder (8gm)(Didn't have powder, so used 1 packet of strips--25gm)
1L water
250gm sugar(I just estimatedly poured some half a packet of rock sugar)
2 blades pandan leaf, tied into a knot(Kesian, i didn't have these too..)
1L thick unsweetened soy milk
150ml evaporated milk(I used 3 tbsp of condense creamer because I have to help finish the few cans given by visiting relatives during the time when FIL were bed-ridden)
150ml canned longan syrup (from the longan can)(I omited this)
Canned longans

1. Prepare containers / jelly cups. Place 2 longans or more into each container.
2. Cook sugar, 750ml water and pandan leaf until water boils.(I used 500ml water)
3. Mix agar-agar powder with 250ml water and pour into (2). Bring to a boil again, simmer for another 2-minutes. Turn off heat.(I boiled the agar-agar strips with 500ml water til all strips desolved before adding in the sugar mixture)
4. Put in soy milk, evaporated milk and longan syrup. Mix well.
5. Pour soy mixture into prepared containers.
6. Let them cool down and set. Chill in fridge before serving.

Don't know why this one turned a bit curd-like:

This one I made the jelly again, this time with the longans. Its sweeter, but Ee Sync spat out the longans

1 comment:

WendyinKK said...

Mel, if you want to substitute with strips, use the same amount in weight, or at least buy the smallest pack, even 12gm will be much better than 25gm.
Mine is really crazy soft like tofufah, whereas I see yours is much firmer, or maybe you like it this way :)